Can My Kids Live With Me in a 55+ Community?

Can My Kids Live With Me in a 55+ Community?

One of the most common questions asked related to age-restricted 55+ communities is: Can my kids live with me?

The answer to this isn’t so simple, because it usually depends on the age of your child and the rules set forth by the community you want to move into.

Let’s unpack this question further and get to the bottom of whether or not your kid can live with you in a 55+ community.

Can Kids Live with Parents in 55+ Communities?

Yes, as long as your child is over 18 and at least one member of the household is 55 or older. 

However, there are exceptions to this rule, typically on a community-by-community basis. Therefore, be sure to ask your real estate agent and the community you’re looking at regarding their rules surrounding children living with parents.

Can a Child Live in a Retirement Community?

Children under the age of 18 are usually not allowed to live in an age-qualified retirement community. Some communities may make an exception for you, so it doesn’t hurt to ask.

The community you want to live may also qualify for the 80/20 rule, found in the Housing for Older Persons Act of 1995 (HOPA), which states that if 80% of the households in the community are at least 55 years old, the community can adjust their age requirements for the remaining 20% of units.

Searching for a 55+ community to call home? Start your search in a Las Vegas 55+ community and see what all the buzz is about!

In Closing

This quick article has answered the question of whether or not your child can live with you in a 55+ community. As you can see, it largely depends on if the kid in question is over 18, and the rules set forth by each community. 

Have further questions about 55+ communities? See these resources:

Post a Comment