Can Someone Under 55 Live in a 55+ Community?
Wondering if someone under the age of 55 can live in a 55 and older community? This article answers the question of whether or not you can live in a 55+ community when you’re not over the age of 55.
As you become older, there are many aspects of life to look forward to living. A peaceful lifestyle, retirement, and more time with family are a few of the benefits.
Some individuals choose to live in a 55+ and Active Adults community to take advantage of these possibilities. However, there are a few things to consider, including age-restrictions.
What is 55+ Housing, and How Does it Differ from Other Housing Types?
A 55+ and Active Adult community is developed for those aged 55 and above. Everything about the community caters to older residents, from amenities and floor layouts to required house upkeep, neighborhood activities and services.
These neighborhoods are also age-restricted, which means that residents must be 55 or older to own a home. For example, there are more than twenty 55+ communities in Las Vegas with age restrictions. However, a few exceptions to the age rule do exist.
How Can I Live in a 55+ Community Under 55?
Can I buy home in 55+ community if I am younger?
It may be possible for you to buy a home in a 55+ community even if you are not 55 or older. However, make sure to check with community representatives. Due to HOPA, the community may have flexible age limits or be able create a situation where you can buy and obtain the requisite age within a certain time frame.
If 80% of the community's people are 55 and older, the other 20% may be younger. Is this correct?
Yes! The Housing of Older Persons Act, or HOPA, was passed in 1995. According to the laws, communities may change their age limits after 80 percent of units are inhabited by at least one individual over the age of 55. This is often referred to as the 80/20 rule.
Can a younger adult live with you in 55+ community?
Possibly. This limitation has less to do with age policing but more to do with accessible resources and amenities. Communities where children live often depend on factors such as closeness to public schools and children's programming outlets.
Because 55+ communities cater to a distinct population, these essential facilities aren't always available, making it more difficult for even families with children to find a place to call home.
If you fall into this group, be sure to ask specific questions about the communities you're interested in. It's not difficult simply because it's unusual; you'll have to do some searching to discover a community that suits your demands.
For more information, read our article: Can My Kids Live With Me in a 55+ Community?
Is it possible for my grandkids to visit?
Yes! A fun fact is that many 55+ communities will set aside weeks for activities geared at youngsters to keep grandchildren occupied. However, if you're accustomed to having your grandchildren come for months at a time, find out if there is a limit on how many days visitors under the age of 55 may stay.
Is it possible for a younger-than-55 resident's child or spouse to inherit the property?
This can get tricky and isn’t always straight forward. Your under 55 children may be required to sell the house. If you reside in a 55+ community and want to include your house in your will, you should consult with a community official, lawyer and real estate agent to figure out the technicalities.
Can a disabled person under 55 live in a 55+ community under the age limit?
In situations where age is a factor, the person will usually have to live with a person who is 55 or older. If you're looking for a 55+ community that offers in-home living support, you may want to consider an assisted living facility.
Are there any places for those under 50 to live?
Yes, although it will depend on the circumstances and the community's rules.
The two most typical scenarios are a spouse that does not match the age limit or has an adult kid (over 18)relocating with you. Exceptions are usually made in both circumstances since one of the household members is above 55.
While there are other exceptions, double-check the details of wherever you're considering relocating since age-qualified communities have some discretion in deciding the rules.
Is it possible to rent a property to someone under 55?
This is a grey area, so you'll have to check with the HOA standards in your neighborhood. Because most 55 and older communities prefer permanent residents over renters to establish community relationships, renting out a property is uncommon. Renters under the age of 55 are often not allowed.
Decide on whether or not a 55+ community is right for you
Because the restrictions and regulations differ from one community to the next, you'll need to conduct some research to locate the ideal match. Remember that you may contact a community representative or work with a local real estate agent for assistance with any issues.